Monday, October 22, 2007

The Clown Olympics

Chris and Amanda organized a fun evening of competitive clown events: Solo Trips and Falls, Duo Slapstick, Eccentric Dance and Duo or Trio Synchronized Kiddie Pool Swimming.

The Synchronized Swim was treated most lightly by the competitors, and therefore became the most clown-like. Most of the other events were very seriously undertaken; we saw some very well rehearsed routines and some clowns throwing themselves into the fracas armed with just a few good ideas.

In the spirit of “Clown” Olympics I arrived dressed as the “French Judge,” Marie La Peine, cash peeping out of my décolletage, suggesting that I was ready to be bribed for a good score. Imagine that only one competitor joined me in the play by slipping me a dollar during his dance routine. Of course he took the Gold in the Eccentric Dance category—I hope there is no inquiry to strip him of his medal.

All kidding aside, my fellow judges (Hovey Burgess and Mark Gindick) and I found it difficult to sit in judgment of all the hard work of the brave souls who joined the Olympics. Especially difficult was scoring the first performer up in each category. We were booed and cheered for each decision we made.

What a fun romp!

No comments: