Monday, October 22, 2007

RIDICULOSITY

Glass Contraption returns with a new show with many of the same characters from last year’s show. These clowns played the classic scenario of The Missing Star. The desperate chorus has to cover for the featured act who is a no-show.

These young clowns are lively and wonderful stupids. Their characters are distinct. Tater, (Justine Williams) a shrilly happy and bitter little girl, was a stand-out. Their singing and dancing extravaganza was thoroughly entertaining.

As an ensemble, they did everything together: laugh, cry, scream. Their emotional palette was limited to giddy, hysterical happiness and loud sadness. I wanted them to take turns a bit to leave me some breathing room. I wanted to see them as individuals cooperating, instead of as a multi-cellular organism. I was tired out by the cacophony of all their high-pitched voices (just the kind of noise that makes me very wary of developing a “clown voice”).

These characters are really baby clowns. They have a lot of potential. I hope to see them grow in depth and range, and explore some more subtle, personal themes.

No comments: