Monday, October 22, 2007

ZEN CABARET

Nina Rolle has collected a chorus of sexy and charming women, the “Rogue Elements,” who support her vision of an invocative and politically savvy extravaganza. They create an atmosphere of challenging fun. The musical landscapes of voices and instruments were moving and drew me in.

The only part that struck me as out of place was when Rolle painted grotesque clown makeup on her face. It seemed arbitrary and did not serve the number.

The Medicine show element of this revue was fun, and I wish I had gotten a chance to purchase a bottle of Permission Galore. Rolle told us, ”Cynicism is easy, do things the hard way.” And I wanted to try. I loved the use of buckets of pennies and abacuses as rhythms instruments to accompany Rolle on the accordion. I was totally enchanted and amused.

No comments: