Monday, October 22, 2007

SOLO: a two-person show

Under the Table Theater
Josh Matthews and Matt Chapman

If this post looks familiar, it is because I am just repeating my earlier post so this one is at the top of my blog. I wnat you all to go see Solo.

DO NOT MISS this show. I could not wait to write about it.

I laughed until my sides hurt and jumped to my feet to applaud. Josh and Matt create a rich, finely drawn world of adventure through their eloquent physicality and wonderful, intense spoken word. Two brothers lovingly compete and cooperate. They push each other’s buttons, moving from joyful memories to painfully irrational arguments. Anyone with siblings will howl with delightful recognition at their bickering and bragging.

In their fantasy they drag us through a creepy and riotous jungle, popping up in the audience to surprise us with flashlight lit faces. They carry us off to a mountaintop, where evil mountain goats “decimate” their climbing team. I loved the clipping and unhooking of caribiners , the breathless drop when the wrong rope is cut. They actively encircle the audience with these atmospheres. Don’t expect to sit back and watch. You will be on the edge of your seat. The stakes are high.

This is not a show of classic gags or variety skill. You have not seen these scenes anywhere before. There is real tragedy and loss here. They begin their show with the tragic end, then flashback through the events leading up to it. I loved the brothers dearly by the time the end comes around.

I do not want to say too much. Suffice it to say that the most delightful surprises of physical comedy await you. Take a friend to SOLO.

No comments: