Thursday, October 11, 2007

NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Created and performed by Rob Torres, directed by Avner Eisenberg.
www.funeeestuff.com

This clown is clever. Torres, a affable, cheerful character, comes out onto an empty stage and makes use of simple devices like tape and rope to create his "home." He remembers where he has been, making sure that he honors the space he has created. When he is faced with an obstacle or problems, he knows immediately what to do. His solutions are creative and clever. He is seldom at a loss for a solution, even one as complicated as defining a basement to go retrieve any object he needs. This was a thoroughly pleasant evening. I laughed and was surprised by some of his choices, and satisfied by times that he did exactly what I was expecting.

I wanted more. I saw potential for the show to have a richer, deeper effect on me. It is called "No Place Like Home, " yet I found myself wondering how he FELT about the space he had created for himself. Who is this clever fellow and how badly did he need a home? Once he had defined the house with its doorway, window, table and place to hang his coat, I wanted him to take a breath to be there, to let us know how important it was to finally find a home.

I wanted to see him struggle a bit more with his difficulties, and to watch his "wheels work" as he discovered the solutions. It would have given me a chance to know who he is. He was a bit too clever, knowing what to do almost before he had investigated the problem. The fact that he was a lovable character, made me want to know more about him, how he thinks, how he got so "smart."

Rob made most of his skill and magic happen seamlessly within the narrative of the show. I truly appreciate when an artist does not just give us a laundry list of his skills, finishing one and tossing it away to move on to the next. When he tied the one-handed know in his tie inadvertently, it gave the audience a laugh of surprise and satisfaction. His timing was spot on.

Direct and strong contact with the audience is always welcome, and Torres is clearly good at that. His opening expected a great deal of cooperation from us, and I felt resistant to being so involved before I had even had a chance to really SEE him. Torres was connecting to us, but I think he was playing to the audiences he is used to, instead of the savvy, theater-going (clown-officianado) crowd that he had.

I would love to see Torres look for the opportunity to enrich this show. It has such a lovely, clear structure, with lots of fun moments, fine skill and a charming character. An investigation of who he is and what "home" means to him would add dimension and depth.

No comments: